Congressional Art Competition
The 2014 Congressional Art Competition has begun!
I’m excited to announce this year’s Congressional Art Competition, An Artistic Discovery, an annual event that allows high school students from our region in Iowa and across the country to showcase their artistic abilities.
Any high school student in Iowa's First Congressional District is welcome to submit his or her artwork to my office.
The winner of the competition will win two round-trip airline tickets to Washington, DC. In addition, the winner’s artwork will be displayed in the U.S. Capitol for a year.
How to Enter
This year we are only accepting digital submissions. All students wishing to enter the competition must digitally photograph his/her artwork and email it to Braley.Artwork@mail.house.gov.
My office will compile all submissions into an online gallery for public voting. Only one submission per student will be accepted. Please include your full name and the name of your school along with a completed “Student Release Form”.
Art works entered in the contest may be up to 28 inches by 28 inches (including the frame) and may be up to 4 inches in depth. All entries must be an original in concept, design and execution.
The art work may be:
- Paintings - including oil, acrylics, and watercolor
- Drawings - including pastels, colored pencil, pencil, charcoal, ink, and markers
- Prints - including lithographs, silkscreen, and block prints
- Mixed Media
- Computer Generated Art
- Please note that if your artwork is selected for display, it must adhere to the framing guidelines.
- All online entries must be submitted with a completed “Student Release Form”. This form can be emailed to Braley.Artwork@mail.house.gov.
- Each “Student Release Form” must be signed by BOTH student & teacher
- Artwork must be two-dimensional
- Each entry can be no larger than 28”x28”x4” (28 inches high, 28 inches wide & 4 inches deep).
- Each entry must be original in concept, design, and execution and may not violate any U.S. copyright laws.
- April 22, 2014: Due date for all 2014 Congressional Art Competition entries.
- April 23, 2014: Online voting begins.
- May 1, 2014: Online voting ends and winner is chosen.
- May 17, 2014: Framed winning piece delivered to the nearest Braley district office.
The Congressional Art Competition, initiated by Congress in 1982, is a nation-wide high school arts competition sponsored by Members of the U.S. House of Representatives. The Artistic Discovery Contest is an opportunity to recognize and encourage artistic talent across the nation and in Iowa's First Congressional District.