Helping You: Frequently Asked Questions

Can you assist me in receiving or replacing medals I earned while serving my country?

Yes. Our office can contact the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) on your behalf and submit a formal request. The NPRC will review your request and determine the medals/awards that you are entitled to receive. The NPRC will forward that information to the appropriate branch of service for issuance.  Veterans seeking assistance should contact the Waterloo office at 319-287-3233.

Can you help me with filling out an application for federal benefits?

Absolutely.  We routinely assist people in their applications for Social Security, Medicare, VA and other such benefits. If you have already made your application, are in the process of an appeal, or have an unfavorable decision from an administrative agency, we encourage you to contact us, so we can determine if the office can assist you.

Can you help me obtain a passport?

The U.S. Congress and 9/11 Commission called for strengthened travel documents to prevent acts of terrorism in our country. So, in January of 2007, the State Department changed passport requirements with regards to travel to Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean and Bermuda. As a result, there have been long delays and service disruptions in people receiving their passports. However, we have had success in having passports expedited for constituents.  If you are within two weeks of your date of departure and have not received your passport, we can request that the National Passport Center expedite the process, and will do our best to ensure you receive it, but cannot guarantee delivery.

Can you help me with a problem that involves a state or local agency?

Sometimes.  Although our office specializes in dealing with federal agencies, we work closely with state and local service providers and can often assist you in finding the right person at the agency you are having difficulties with. We can also assist you in connecting you with state, county, and local officials so that you can contact them directly. If you have an urgent need - for instance, if your utilities are about to be shut off - please call us and we can refer you the proper local assistance agency/organization.

Can you let me know the application process for an Academy Nomination?

Members of Congress are authorized to nominate candidates for appointment to the U.S Military Academy at West Point, the U.S. Naval Academy, the U.S. Air Force Academy, and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. This can be a highly competitive process, with only a limited number of nominations available. There are also several steps in the application process, so candidates are advised to contact our Waterloo office at 319-287-3233 for an application packet early in the spring of their junior year of high school for guidance in the process.

If you have additional questions, or if you need help, please click here to email me with your issue or concern. Or, you can contact one of my district offices located in Waterloo, Dubuque, or Davenport.